Dental implants are used for replacement of any missing or extracted tooth.
The alternative method of implants are dental bridges and removable dentures but dental implants are highly recommended nowadays because it is not necessary to damage more teeth (neighbouring teeth) as we have to do in the other alternatives (bridges, removable dentures).
Dental implants are made by titanium screws that are inserted into the bone and replace the part of the root. After a dental crown is placed above the implant screw and it functions as a natural tooth.
Dental implants can be placed at any age above 18years old.
Advantages of dental implants:
- More aesthetic than other prosthesis
- No tooth preparation of the neighbouring teeth in case of dental bridge
- Are not removable
- They stop the further bone resorption
- Last longer than other dental procedures
Contraindications for dental implants:
- High bone resorption
- Bad oral hygiene
- Uncontrolled diabetes mellitus type 2